02 May Exterior Painting Tips and Tricks
Hi guys! Welcome to our Exterior Painting Series! We’ll be guiding you on everything there is to know about the exterior painting of your home–from deciding on what colors and style to choose to preparing your house to be painted and the painting of the house itself! Get out your notebook because we’re giving you some homework!
Figuring out the Style of your Home So you Can pick the Right Colors
Deciding the colors of the exterior of your home can feel overwhelming, there are so many colors to choose from! Don’t worry though! These tips will help you narrow down your choices. Here are some questions you’ll need to answer before trying to pick colors:
- What is the style of the exterior of your home?
Is it Cottage-Style? Contemporary? Mediterranean? Colonial? Farmhouse? Beach-y? Craftsman? Victorian? Ranch? French country? Mid-Century Modern? Tudor? San Diego Magazine has some great examples of the most popular home styles in San Diego, you can check them out here https://www.sandiegomagazine.com/features/a-tour-of-classic-san-diego-architecture/article_dc6397dc-5447-11ea-974a-3b66587bccc6.html
- Walk down your street look at surrounding homes, Do you want your like your home to stand out or blend in?
- What’s the style of your home on the inside?
- Use the same categories we mentioned before to help you with this, if you have a different style altogether, don’t worry! Just write it down
- You may want to coordinate the exterior colors with the interior ones so the whole feel of your house is cohesive
- What does the landscape look like? Do you have desert plants? Tropical plants? Brightly colored flowers?
- What colors do you have on the inside? Is the interior of your home visible to the outside? Do you have large furniture pieces that can be seen from the exterior of the home?
- If you can see the inside of your home from the outside, make note of the colors you can see
- Make note of the major colors of the inside of your home too. The color you will choose later for the exterior should be cohesive with the colors on the inside.
- Determine what is permanent and will not change.
- If you have plants that you don’t plan on changing, if you have furniture that you don’t plan on replacing, or if there are fixtures on the house that will remain, make note of those colors and materials.
- Gather all of these details on a notepad and check out our next article where we teach you exactly how to choose the right colors for your exterior of your home!